Atlanta, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: My husband was awarded physical custody of his son. The mother gets him every other weekend. She lived in SC, so she

received a travel deviation for her support amount. She has been staying with a friend in Georgia ever since the final order but won't admit it. She lives right down the street from us. She was ordered to pay $305/month with a $200 deviation...making her payment amount only $105. (She won't even pay that). What can we do? The final order states that if she moves back to GA then she will no longer receive the deviation, so she is purposely hiding where she lives.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You probably should do nothing. The travel deviation probably isn't enough to spend thousands in attorneys fees arguing over a few dollars in child support. He got custody, which was the most important thing, so sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

1 user found this answer helpful

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If you can prove she still lives there, you could file a motion to modify based upon that. However, if this is a temporary situation, and she's headed to South Carolina, I wouldn't waste my time.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.