Raleigh, NC asked in Family Law for Pennsylvania

Q: As self representing party, do i have the right to work directly with ex's Counsel? It is unreimbursed med. expense issu

I am self representing after a long drawn out, $175,000 child custody battle that has ended. However, when it comes to unreimbursed medical expenses, she refuses to provide receipts as required on the State Form. i will not pay without proof of payment, and verification that it was not covered by her insurance. She is trying to state that I am not entitled to talk to her Counsel about the matter. Do I have a right, as a self representing party, to work through her Counsel? Can she prevent me from doing so. Obviously, it is a very contentious dynamic between her and I. I get along fine with the Attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Kathryn Hilbush

  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: I'm responding from the standpoint of an attorney licensed to practice in PA, not NC. You have the right to contact her attorney. She may direct the attorney not to speak with you. If you make a nuisance of yourself the attorney may cut you off or restrict your communications to written ones. Your ex is trying to avoid having you run up her legal fees.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.