Orland Park, IL asked in Traffic Tickets for Illinois

Q: Have $2,600 ticket for driving without insurance and then missing court, is there a way to get fine price decreased?

Got pulled over first time driving after returning home from military basic training and realized I forgot to renew my insurance upon my arrival home. I then ended up missing my court date but called the courthouse the following Monday. I paid to have my license reinstated so it wasn't suspended anymore but they informed me my $100 ticket turned into $2,600 for not appearing in court. I didn't have the money to pay it so I put it off but now I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to get the fine lowered and if hiring an attorney would help at all. Thanks

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Jeremy Wang

  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Rolling Meadows, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes. Hiring an attorney will absolutely help to lower your fines and fees. The sooner the better.

Juan Ooink agrees with this answer

Juan Ooink

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bolingbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes, an attorney can assist you with this matter. An attorney would file a Motion to have the case brought back before the Judge to see if there is anything that can be done about the fine amount. You need to handle this right away because the longer you wait the less likely you will see the fine reduced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.