Shreveport, LA asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Probate for Louisiana

Q: How do I report a notary for not filing my father's will at the court house?

The notary was good friends with my father & aunt. My aunt, who was put in charge of everything until my brother and I turned of age, sold his house to the notary. When it should have been signed over to my brother. She only paid $5000 for the I house and land and put on paper it was sold for like a dollar so that way she wouldn't have to pay my brother anything really. My dad left my brother the property and material things and left me life insurance which I have never seen. I can't get the notary to show me the will or anything. I don't know where to start but figured maybe if I start with the notary everything else will come to light.

1 Lawyer Answer

Christie Tournet

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Wills are not filed in the public record. And, a notary has no obligation to file a Will - anywhere. To the contrary, the Will should be provided to the Testator and it is up to the Testator to determine if he/she wishes to provide access/copies of the Will. Also, a notary/attorney may be willing to provide the Will to a beneficiary. Otherwise, any interested person can file to open succession and obtain an order to search for a Will. As a child, you are an interested person and could proceed this route and this would be the proper way to proceed. Counsel can also place a call to the attorney/notary that drafted, but a failure to provide the will may indicate that you are not a beneficiary under the Will. You should contact probate counsel local to you to assist in the process and to get a more precise recommendation for proceeding given your specific circumstances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.