Stafford, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Virginia

Q: I got a ticket the other day for failure to obey highway sign. What can I do to not have that on my record?

24 years old and a clean record

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Jennifer Quezada Castillo
Jennifer Quezada Castillo
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It depends on the facts of your case and which code section you were charged under.

If you were charged under 46.2-830, and the facts of your case permit it, it would be best to seek a reduction to 46.2-830.1 in order to avoid assessing the demerit points on your driver's license. If however, the officer wrote the ticket as a way to avoid giving you a speeding ticket, and depending on the speed you were going, it might be best to pay the ticket.

If you were charged under 46.2-830.1, you will not be assessing any demerit points on your driver's license.

Depending on other facts in your case (i.e. sign not visible, damaged, improperly posted, etc), there may be other arguments that you can make.

You always have the option of appearing in court, pleading no contest, and ask for leniency given your clean record. Good luck!

Jacob N Tingen agrees with this answer

Daniel P Leavitt
Daniel P Leavitt pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Midlothian, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Failure to obey a highway sign does have demerit points so if you can get it reduced that is best. Moving violations frequently result in an insurance increase. You can hire an attorney who is familiar with that court to get it reduced in most cases. Every judge/court I know will reduce a moving violation for you or dismiss it with driving school if you have a clean driving record.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.