Carmel, IN asked in Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: I'm in the state of Indiana. If a lease agreement has ended and the tenant refuses to leave the property can I force out

I have served a 10 day notice & filed an eviction with the courts, of which the court date isnt until later this month. Can I force them out by changing the locks or have law enforcement to have them removed since the agreement is up? To add, there is a hold over part in the agreement, however we did not agree to extend the contract.

1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: No, you cannot change the locks or physically remove them. Your only legal option is to obtain an eviction at the eviction hearing that you already have scheduled. If you contact the police they will not act without an eviction order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.