Whigham, GA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia

Q: Mother here, unwed. He is on birth certificate but not legetamized. By Ga law I have custody but how can I show proof?

I need to give papers to school to show he can not get her.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You can show them this - https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2017/title-19/chapter-7/article-2/section-19-7-25/

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You are correct, since you haven't been married and he hasn't legitimized he doesn't have any legal rights to the child. Speak to the school to make sure they are aware of that and see if there is anything specific they need from you showing who you give permission for her to be picked up by. If you need a specific legal paper for them you may want to have an attorney draw one up for you that they can keep on file. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Mr. Samuel E. Thomas agrees with this answer

Mr. Samuel E. Thomas

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Athens, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleagues

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.