Tampa, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: My kids were taken December 19th and I am trying to get them back. But I haven't been told my case plan.

The cps investigator doesn't return my calls, I was supposed to go to a cpc today and they didn't have it scheduled, I was also supposed to have a visit with my son and no one contacted me back about ot either. I just want to know what I should do. They took my kids without telling me. I was in the hospital, I had a baby and he tested positive for a couple of things including what the hospital had given him. I don't have any paperwork for anything. The only thing that has happened was an assessment for one of my sons. They haven't came to my house either.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You are telling us that DCF took your children and still have them outside of your possession. In order to do that they must have filed a case with the court. You have a right to be represented by lawyer in your case or to have one appointed to you if you cannot afford your own. You should go to the clerk of court right now and ask whether a lawyer has already been appointed to you, or to ask for hearing to have a lawyer appointed for you.

Things can be very confusing when a dependency case starts and when DCF has your children. I know getting answers to your questions is very important to you. Having a lawyer will help you immensely. You can also go to DCF once again ask for a supervisor and stay there until you speak to someone about your case.

You will receive a case plan. If the children were removed in December it may still be a little early for case plan, but DCF could tell you some of the task that are going to be required and for which you could already start.

Please speak with an experienced local Dependency Lawyer

I hope this helps. I wish you all the best. David A. Carroll, Pensacola Divorce Lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.