Oregon City, OR asked in Divorce for Oregon

Q: My wife has constantly cheated the last 4 + years now she wants divorce. I’m on disability what options do I have

She had me move my mom in the house almost a year ago, now she’s trying to take the house and my mom and me have no where to go. Because of her infidelities I’m mentally emotional because of her and her cheating

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
  • Beaverton, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Generally, your wife's cheating is not admissible in evidence in a divorce case. Oregon is a no fault divorce state, which means you cannot introduce evidence of fault to prove the reason for getting divorced. Your wife's cheating may be admissible if there is an adverse economic consequence that is caused by the cheating (for example, there is a large credit card debt because of lavish outings with another person).

I recommend you consult with an attorney to determine your options, and how best to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.