Jacksonville, FL asked in Family Law for Florida

Q: Who is responsible for transportation for visitation and can lack of visitation/comm. be grounds for rights termination?

In my divorce decree, it does not state specifically only states "Transportation costs shall be agreed upon by the parties or left to the discretion of the court." My ex doesnt currently have a car. He also isn't paying child support and is $8000 in arrears. He lives 2 hours away. We have 4 children together under the age of 7. I can't afford the transportation costs without his child support. He only saw them 7 weekends last year, 3 of those visits, I was able to transport because he was finally making child support payments. He is back to not making payments but still wants me to transport and I can't afford it. Will it hurt me in court that I do not bring the children to him? Also, he hasn't called them in over 6 months. Not one time. He messages me that I need to have them call his, but I tell him he can call whenever he has time. He never does. I'm pretty sure lack of support, visitation, and calls are all grounds for termination of rights yes? My husband would like to adopt them.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Alfred Carroll
David Alfred Carroll
  • Pensacola, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should meet with an experienced local family law attorney. Preferably one who also has experience with stepparent adoptions. It seems like you would want to follow contempt of court for failure to pay child support. Ask the court to establish an arrearage amount of $8000 in Make him start paying on that monthly in addition to ongoing child support. The court could consider your transportation requirements separate from child support. Therefore you would want to seek to modify the requirement that you transport based upon his failure to comply. Based on information provided you probably do not have enough to win and abandonment case at this point. An experienced lawyer can help you with a good strategy.

Financially supporting a child when child support is been established is crucially important for all parents. I hope that he will step up to the plate and do the right thing by the children.

Wishing you all the best.

David A. Carroll

Pensacola Child Support Attorney

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.