Muskegon, MI asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Georgia

Q: can an old case from almost 14 years ago be use in a new felony case?

my brother was brought up on new felony charges they have brought in people from his old case from almost 14 years ago. he was on a adult website thought he was talking to another adult and come to find out it was a child under 16 he did not know it was a child till after the fact has been charged.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexia Dawn Davis
Alexia Dawn Davis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Augusta-Richmond County (Balance), GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Evidence from old cases can sometimes be used to establish certain elements in a current case. The rules of evidence related to similar transactions or prior bad acts are very specific. The guidance of a knowledgeable attorney is important to ensure that the evidence is not improperly admitted before a jury.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.