Columbus, GA asked in Criminal Law and Civil Litigation for Georgia

Q: A police report was filed against me, accusing me of yelling and causing a scene. It is false. What should I do?

A business vehicle (vendor for a wedding) was driving erratically through a local public outdoor museum and almost hit my young children. I approached the vehicle and told them to slow down, as they were driving on a pedestrian only area. They told me they weren’t going that fast and nobody was in danger. I asked what business they were a part of and they refused to answer any questions. I did not yell or make threats, and there was at least one witness 20 feet away. I reported the incident to the museum immediately. I found out, when contacting the business, that the driver was the business owner, who also promptly told me she had filed a police report against me. I procured a copy of the report and there is much information that is patently false. From what I understand, there was no accusation of actual crime, but instead, a fear for personal safety(which is very odd), considering all I asked was a business name.

I’m not sure what to do next, considering the falsities involved

1 Lawyer Answer

David Edward Boyle

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Monroe, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The police report is merely a statement of what the driver told the police. If no charges are being sought against you there is nothing to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.