Roanoke, IN asked in Estate Planning for Indiana

Q: How long do you have to disclaim inheritance in Indiana? What if you are one of 3 trustees out of 5 beneficiaries?

If you disclaim inheritance, do you forfeit your position as an executor and as a trustee?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Alexander Florian Steciuch

  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Disclaiming and inheritance is not the same as renouncing your position as an executor or a trustee. You can disclaim a part or whole of an inheritance. You can refuse to serve as the executor and choose to stay on as trustee. It is not an all or nothing situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.