Milwaukee, WI asked in Probate for Wisconsin

Q: I sold home for mother's home as guardian to pay for care, that I was to inherit 50% , do I get a share of other assets

mom inherited $167.000 after being placed in memory care facility. sister was left all assets and 50% of home, do I get nothing?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: It is unclear to me from your question whether you and your sister are the only children of your mother. If it is just you and your sister, and your mother was unmarried when she died, then it is likely you and your sister are her only two heirs under the laws of intestacy. If your Mother executed a Will, she could have changed this disposition to leave more to your sister or to someone else. However, in general, if your Mother died without a Will, and you and your sister were the only heirs, then all probate assets (all assets that pass through the court system and not by contract like a life insurance policy) would be split evenly between you and your sister. It is also possible that your Mother placed your sister's name on the deed to her house, and then this asset would pass according to the title on the deed of the property. Your mother is free to leave her estate to anyone she wishes if she properly executed a Will. I would need more facts about this situation to better answer your question.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.