Decatur, IN asked in Child Support for Indiana

Q: Can I petition the court to end child support ?

My son is 18 and has not attended school since graduating last May. He has a part time job and is still living with his mother. The Indiana web site states this.

The court may terminate a non-custodial parent's support obligation, with or without emancipating the child if the court finds that all of the following circumstances exist:

The child is at least 18 years old; and

The child has not attended a secondary school or post-secondary educational institution for the prior 4 months; and

Is not enrolled in a secondary school or post-secondary educational institution; and

The child is, or is capable of, supporting himself or herself through employment.

In order for a court to terminate a child support order prior to 19, a petition must be filed with the court. If a non-custodial parent owes any arrearage at the point when the order for child support terminates, he or she is still required to pay the arrearages.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You've answered your own question. Yes, you can petition the court to terminate child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.