Shreveport, LA asked in Adoption for Louisiana

Q: gow Can I adopt my cousins baby when he is born? Both parents willing to sign over rights at the hospital.

My cousin will be delivereing her baby next month and she and the baby’s father agreed to sign over rights. How can we do this so we can bring him home from the hospital?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Hire an adoption attorney now, in advance, so all the paperwork can be ready for the birth.

Douglas Lee Bryan

  • Family Law Lawyer
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: This is called an intrafamily adoption. It's generally less expensive and less complicated than a private adoption. You need to consult with an adoption attorney as soon as possible so that the paperwork can be started and so that things will go faster and smoother after the child's birth. Give me a call and I'll be happy to discuss the procedure and anticipated costs further.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.