Bolivar, MO asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: Ex and I have a court ordered custody agreement. She’s refusing to give him to me on my days. Can she lose her rights?

She takes him out of state on my time. Refuses to give him back, and the police will not get involved. This has happened over 5 times. When we go to court can I fight for full custody, and she just get visitation? Can she lose her rights? Can they grant me some custody?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Fink
Christopher Fink
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Your first step may be to file a Family Access Motion. This is a potential self help remedy as you do not necessarily need an attorney to file the motion. The court will expedite a hearing and can grant make up time and can impose a financial penalty to her. However, if you want to modify custody, you'll need to actually file a Motion to Modify Child Custody and you will need to hire an attorney unless you know how to represent yourself.

Whether the Court will modify the parenting plan is difficult to answer as there are so many factors the court will consider, but yes it is absolutely possible to modify the existing parenting plan. Will she lose her rights? very unlikely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.