Ellenwood, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: Can I ask for half of my son orthodontist bill in the divorce

My son had to get braces and he is covered on my health insurance, however I pay monthly installments. Am i able to get half of the payments when I file for divorce?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes, you can. This is a form of child support. Typically the uncovered medical expenses would be split. There is always a debate about orthodontic and dentistry, and whether or not that is medical, but if you notify your counsel, and are specific with your requests to the court, this should be addressed in your decree.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleague, this is something that you can ask for assistance on paying for. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.