South Ozone Park, NY asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New York

Q: How does my husband go about getting a pro bono appeals lawyer?

He had taken a plea and was sentenced this past November. His plea was 63-78 and was given 96 months. He filed for an appeal and now I feel we're at a roadblock because Im not sure what his next move is. His lawyer has barely communicated since sentencing. He's still in holding in MDC awaiting designation. The judge only recently signed off on the judgment. He cannot afford an appeals lawyer. Does he need to fire his current lawyer? Once the case was over did that make his lawyer finished with the job? Any advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can search the internet or contact the NYC Bar Assoc for referrals to legal aid organizations and criminal justice innocence projects that offer criminal defense appeals work. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, I practice law in CA, NY, MA, WA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.