Evansville, IN asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: If I got full custody of my children, would my ex still have to pay child support.

My ex husbands wages are currently being garnished for child support. He has my children every other weekend Saturday AM until they go to school on Monday mornings. He does not have his own home and stays at his sisters house or his fathers house when he has them and has lately been staying at random peoples houses which I am not comfortable with. He also is legally responsible for half of all doctor bills and for extracurricular activity's/tutoring etc. (which he probably owes me about $3,000) he has never once paid for half. I am looking into full custody but am worried about him not having to pay child support any longer (I was told that it would drop.) I get $370 every two weeks and this goes towards daycare which I cannot afford to cover on my own.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Alexander Florian Steciuch

  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: Custody and child support are two separate issues. A parent is always obligated to provide financial support to the child, regardless of whether or not they have custody of the child or even visitation rights. Obtaining full custody does not terminate child support. Child support only ends when a parent's parental rights are terminated or the child is emancipated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.