Whittier, CA asked in Copyright and Trademark for Utah

Q: 5 years operating the website www.efymusic.com. The owner of the mark "efy" is now asking that I cease and desist.

I don't own "EFY" but have been selling music and mp3's that I do own based on their summer camp. I had a verbal "okay" from them to run it the past few years, and they have often checked in to see how things were going. Now they are deciding to pull everything close to the vest and want me to stop using the brand efy in the website. Not sure what to do since we have been operating on this handshake the past 5-6 years. Thanks for any advice.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • los angeles, CA

A: You may still be able to register the trademark for use In Class 41 (Entertainment Services) with your scope of services limited to something like music production/distribution; but it really depends on the Summer Camps's mark - i..e how are they using it? What class are they registered in? etc.

If you want to email me, I'd be happy to review and discuss your options - Jason@altviewlawgroup.com

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.