Medford, OR asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Oregon

Q: How can I make my daughter laugh mother comply?

I have custody. Twice now my daughter has returned from her mother’s with head lice. I have told her what she needs to do take care of it and obviously hasn’t. What can I do to make her comply ? Also I told her my daughter will not go back until it’s taken care of , is that ok? She has my daughter every other weekend . Thank you so much... concerned father

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Larsen
Jessica Larsen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hillsboro, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Your hands seem to be tied in this situation. You cannot force your daughter's mother to do anything, unless it is stated in the judgment/parenting plan. If your judgment states that the mother must keep a sanitary home, you could file a motion to enforce the judgment, but that is not standard language for a judgment. If your child was in danger, you could file a motion for immediate danger to suspend parenting time, but generally courts do not view head lice as a dangerous situation.

Regardless of the sanitary conditions of the mother's house, you cannot withhold parenting time from her unless there is a court order with a finding of immediate danger. You must abide by the court order or face penalties.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.