Hobbs, NM asked in Child Custody and Child Support for New Mexico

Q: son's mother is threatening child support and custody against me while I'm away for 2 year at rehab program. Can she?

I am not a bad father I just have personal issues and am strongly in my son's life I don't want to go away to rehab trying to better myself and come back home to her have taken my son from me. is there any way I can somehow get this to hold off until my program is complete and I can defend myself?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: She can petition the court for custody yes. The court will look to see what is in the best interest of your child to determine what sort of custody and timeshare schedule there will be. They will take into account all surrounding circumstances, including your rehabilitation stay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.