San Angelo, TX asked in Child Support for New Mexico

Q: Can the case worker get me for tanif on a pending child support order from a different state ?

Me and my daughters father have a 10 year old .. he has always help support her we have always lived together except for 3 years we separated during those 3 years I received tanif .. during that time he was still helping me with my daughter... we got back together I closed the tanif ... we separated again in 2018 he moved out of state and would still send me money weekly.. he skipped 2 months ( so that he could get situated) I was worried that he had stopped, but the following month he repaid it back ... during those 2 months I made a mistake and filed for child support... we got back together I quit my job I moved out of state with him and I am currently living with him . We contacted our case worker she said she will drop the on going child support. My question is can the case worker take us to court only for the tanif ? (This was a pending case when we got together and moved out of state . We no longer live in New Mexico where it was originally filed . Tanif was from 7 years ago)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: If this is a case in New Mexico, the child support enforcement division routinely seeks reimbursement of state funds. If they are claiming that you owe an amount that seems too high, request an audit to ensure their calculations match yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.