Atlanta, GA asked in Estate Planning for Georgia

Q: I was one day late giving answer to the eviction. I emailed the court yesterday on the final day to let them know I was

On the way. I didn't make it. Got there at 9 this morning and they tell me it was too late. We had to be out in 24 hours this man didn't make out a new lease when the old one went out I thought I would had 60 days to get out according to the tenant at will. I have every message between the landlord and myself and dozens and dozens of pictures this house is very unstable very hazardous and I have had to pay for all repairs I've got everything I thought I had a leg to stand on can you please help me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jammie Taire
Jammie Taire
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Snellville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: This is a difficult time. Under Georgia law, when someone files a dispossessory action against you, you have 7 days to file an answer from the date it is served (service may be posted on your door). If you do not file the answer within the seven (7) days the landlord can get an writ against you immediately; however, Georgia does not allow self-evictions. Therefore, although the landlord can get the writ the writ still has to be executed. Although you may not have a remedy to stay in the property you may have a separate civil action against the landlord if you incurred damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.