Gulfport, MS asked in Medical Malpractice for Michigan

Q: Can I hold the VA responsible for not healing properly from a surgery in 2012 - I have numbness on the surgical line

I had a myomectomy (fibroid removal). My surgeon told me that it may take a couple of years for the feeling to return and once a woman has surgery down there, she is never the same. I still have numbness in a large area over the surgical scar - my feelings never completely returned. I curious can anything be done about this. Now in retrospect, she likely told me that so I would not report it. My surgery occurred in the Detroit VA and I am a veteran.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Medical malpractice claims are intricate to pursue, and require an attorney. That said, you may find, after consultation with an attorney, that you are beyond the statute of limitations - meaning that an otherwise valid claim would be dismissed. The other issue is that pain and numbness is hard to base a med mal claim on. Every body is different, pain tolerances vary, and nerves can regenerate in 6 months for one person and 6 years in another person. You should, though, talk with an attorney. Good med mal attorneys have a doctor or nurse on staff who will ask you appropriate questions. Just know, though, that good med mal attorneys turn down far more cases than they ever take on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.