West Plains, MO asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Missouri

Q: im 17 and living on my own in MO. my mom is saying she can put me in a mental hospital until im 21.

i moved out of my moms 6 moths ago and she has threatened me to either come home or she will send me to a mental hospital until im 21, even tho i am mentally stable.

1 Lawyer Answer
Lydia Seifner
Lydia Seifner
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You can't put anyone in psychiatric facility if they are mentally stable; it's a doctor's call to admit someone for treatment, not a parent's decision because they're mad at their kid. It just doesn't work like that. She can however, report you as a runaway and send you to juvenile detention. I would encourage you to speak to an attorney about seeking emancipation, if you've been supporting yourself for six months, you would qualify.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.