Miami, FL asked in Probate for Colorado

Q: My mom passed in 2010. She has real estate that we have been paying taxes on. No written will. Died in AZ, land in CO.

My siblings and I want to share the land. It’s vacant land worth less than $20k. The land is in Colorado and she passed away in Arizona. There is no written will and the property is still and solely is in her name. What do we do and where do we begin?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brynne Gant
Brynne Gant
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Greeley, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: To transfer real property (even vacant land) to heirs, you'll need to open probate in Colorado (or what's called "Ancillary Probate" if probate was already opened in AZ). The Colorado Courts website has some good information and instructions on how to do this:, or you can reach out to a probate attorney to help you file the appropriate paperwork and notify all the correct people.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.