Saint Charles, MO asked in Child Custody for Missouri

Q: which county court to file child custody modification?

I moved from one county to another with in MO with kids ex and I share custody with. He's been filing modification by his attorney and some modification was accepted by the judge in the old county we used to live and he still lives in but not me and kids. My lawyer didn't inform me nothing and he told any modification has to be done with the old county court. it's over 2 hours away and I can't trust the lawyers in the old county. why can't it be done by the court in new county kids and i live now?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Lydia Seifner

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: Unless all parties have moved from the previous jurisdiction, a modification is proper in the county which issued the previous decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.