Beverly Hills, CA asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: Can heirs file an Affidavit of Heirship in Louisiana instead of a Small Estate Affidavit?

Decedent passed away 9 years ago, and spouse passed recently. All in Louisiana. No wills. Decedent name on deed, indicating married to spouse. Spouse remained in home until death. Heirs are children. One died after decedent. 3 surviving children all agreeing to sell the home. No divorces or children from another marriage. Value of home estimated $35K. No other community property. Heirs looking to sell home, but need to transfer ownership to them. Thinking the simplest way is an affidavit of heirship. Thinking would need to file 2 separate affidavits.. one for each parent. Can heirs file this document? BTW, decedent has separate property in another Parish in Louisiana. Thinking that would have to be dealt with in that Parish. Either way, total value of his assets under $50K.

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: An affidavit of heirship is an OMV form used only for transfer of titled vehicles. To transfer title from a Decedent to rightful heirs, you must do a succession in some form. If neither had a Will, and the value of each estate is under $125k, you can do the Affidavit of Small Succession. However, it must meet statutory form requirements and you will need to discuss your circumstances with an attorney well versed in probate to confirm that you can proceed that route. Both separate and community property can be addressed in the Affidavit. Then, for immovable property, the Affidavit and death certificate get filed in conveyance records for each parish where property is situated. Best of luck in proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.