Crawfordville, FL asked in Divorce and Family Law for Georgia

Q: Is there a stature of limitations on filling contempt charges as it relates to a divorce agreement? (See Below)

This does NOT have to do with visitation OR child support. This has to do with other financial aspects of the agreement related to debt at the time of divorce and medical expenses.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Regina Irene Edwards

  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your question is a little vague as asked, but in general, if there are obligations in the divorce that must be paid, there is not a time frame by which the other party can sue to recover those obligations.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

P. Justin Thrailkill

  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Not necessarily. If you've sat on your rights and not done anything about the issue for a period of time, the court may find that it is barred by the doctrine of laches, which is similar to a statute of limitations, though there is no specific time period.

Homer P Jordan IV agrees with this answer

Homer P Jordan IV

  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I agree with my colleagues. Without knowing more details it's difficult to give a straight forward answer, but there are no time limit limitations for this. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.