Irvine, CA asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Tennessee

Q: Parents defaulted on mortgage in TN. Bank now wants to sue them for different of short-sale, they have no money to give.

My parents let a TN property go since they cannot afford it anymore. The bank is threatening to sue them if they do not pay the difference from a cash offer they have for a short sale. My parents have no money anymore to pay this.

The other options was to pay them monthly for the next 10 years or they'll garnish their wages.

My dad is the only income, and will retire in about 3-4 years time.

No savings, only 401k.

Best course of action?

Let them sue and garnish? Or try to work it out with them?

We have sent their financial details to the bank to show they do not have any money for this, but the bank is still threatening.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You should not have sent them any further financial and asset information. The Bank will sue them for the Note Deficiency, which will include alot of penalties and attorney fees. After the Bank gets a Judgment, it will use the information to execute on your Parents' assets. They should start protecting their assets now, and possibly hire a competent attorney to advise them about collection methods and exemption rights.

1 user found this answer helpful

Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng
  • Columbia, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Consult a bankruptcy attorney. If that is not acceptable, they have the right to have the JUDGE ( not the Bank) set a reasonable monthly payment. This is called a "slow pay motion " or "time payment motion."

It does not happen automatically, but they have to make a written request for it after the Judgment is filed. The slow pay order stops the garnishment as long as your parents make the required monthly payment. I also agree with the previous answer- do not share any asset information with the lander.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.