Clovis, NM asked in Criminal Law for New Mexico

Q: Should I plead guilty or not guilty for selling to alcohol to a minor in the state of New Mexico?

About a month ago my convenience store was put under a sting for selling alcohol to minors, and I was cited for selling to one. I asked the person for her ID and put in the date into the register and it kicked back that the date entered was not valid. I tried several times to put in the date figuring that the machine was having issues due to it being a fairly new system. I finally tried other dates and found that the fist month of the year was accepted by the register.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: You should never plead guilty, nor should you ever talk to the police without a lawyer present. You should also never put something like the above, seeming to admit guilt, in the public realm where a district attorney could find it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.