Denham Springs, LA asked in Family Law for Louisiana

Q: DNA test shows I’m not the father Can the real dad take my rights if me and the mother don’t want him to Iv raised her

The dna test was just to see if she could down the line have his illness. Not to give up my rights or anything else but that. Iv been there from birth she’s 3 years old now. I forgot to add this. If he wanted to be in her life is there any legal way he could do that if me and her said no. No vists nothing at all.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Ellen Cronin Badeaux

  • Covington, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you are on the birth certificate, you don't need to do more. If you are not on the birth certificate, you can only be the legal father if you marry the mother and adopt.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.