Winder, GA asked in Child Support for Georgia

Q: I am the non custodial parent, the custodial parent passed away in oct of 2018, im still paying support . and my taxes

I am in Georgia with the support ordered issued here, she was in ca. but lived and passed away in Nevada, they refuse to close the case as they have no obituary or death certificate. is it my responsibility to acquire these ? they have taken my tax return and continue to require support. I am signed up for disability and not employed, they refuse to acknowledge that as well. what course of action can I take ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: The question is, "where is the child?" If you don't have the child, you still have an obligation to pay support to someone. Talk to counsel about your options to clear this up.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.