Houston, TX asked in Estate Planning for Louisiana

Q: My father passed away in 2010. He was married. He purchased a home in 1992 when he wasn't married. what are my rights

I am not sure if there is a will because his wife refuses to cooperate and she hasn't opened succesion on him. She is remarried and living in his home. I dont know where to start or if its worth paying a lawyer to just get nothing ??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Any interested party can open a succession. You are a descendant and therefore, can open succession. In opening succession, you can request that the court issue an Order for a search of the Will. Of course, it is always easier and less costly, if all parties cooperate and if there is a Will, have it presented to a court. If there is a valid Will, then, your father's property will be transferred in accord with its terms. If there is no Will, then, separate property (property purchased before the marriage) goes to his descendants with no interest to the surviving spouse. And, even the former one-half interest in community property of the Decedent goes to his descendants, but that interest is subject to a legal usufruct to the surviving spouse. You should contact counsel well versed in succession law to discuss all of your specific circumstances and to obtain a recommendation for proceeding.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.