Manheim, PA asked in Child Support and Social Security for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I go about a family member collecting a death benefit check? How could I get the check put in my name?

Hello, I had some questions regarding to Social Security. My father had passed away years ago an I had been given a death benefit check. I'm currently 17 years old as of December 9th, of 2018 and pregnant, and I haven't lived with my mother in years. Yet she still collects the check for herself. I live with my grandmother and we don't see any money for some sort of support from her. Since I'm 17 years old I was wondering if I could have the check put in my name legally?

1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: Your mother is currently receiving the funds as your representative payee because you are under age. You have several options. One is to go to the local Social Security office to find out if they can change that to your grandmother if you have sufficient proof that you live with her. Or your grandmother could file for child support against your mother at your county Domestic Relations Office. The SS benefits would be taken into account when an order was entered against your mother.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.