Bronx, NY asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: I just have a question. Im currently going through a divorce my first court date is next month.

And because my husband is in and out of jail I requested that before he sees our daughter he wait until we have a visitation agreement through court. Now he's upset by that and saying when we go to court next month he's going to tell the judge I forged all the paperwork which is false, he had his papers signed and notarized in prison and when we had to make some corrections he came with me to the courthouse, and he's going to request alimony because I have a child with my boyfriend whom I have another child with and are currently living with. I just want to know if he has any grounds.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Your situation is not clear. It appears that you are representing yourself in court. Family Law is all about he - say, she - say environment, where the expertise of an attorney will be used to provide bases to such claims. Alimony and Child Support has to have merit in order to be granted under the law. You can benefit from retaining an attorney. Many attorneys including myself, do offer affordable pricing as well as payment plans. An uncontested divorce where both parties agree will cost around $1,500 to $3,000+ while Contested Divorce where both parties do not agree to cooperate and come to terms, will most likely incur expenses of $3,500+. If you are unemployed or facing financial difficulties, you may be provided an attorney at the court's expense. You would have to incur with the court-clerk about Court Appointed Attorneys. If you would like to speak to an attorney directly, many offer a free consultation and I also provide free general consultation over the phone. Do not hesitate to reach out.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.