Racine, WI asked in Elder Law for Wisconsin

Q: How much should it cost to process a quit claims deed. I am transfering home ownership from children to parent.

Transfering title back from children to parent, In prparation for possible sale by parent.

Quit Claims deed form children have been signed and notorized.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas B. Burton
Thomas B. Burton
  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Eau Claire, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Hello, the recording fee for recording a Quit Claim Deed is $30 payable to the Register of Deeds in the County where the property is located. If this is a sale from the children to the parent, then a transfer tax by the State of Wisconsin will be assessed on the value of the real estate transferred. If it is a gift, then there will likely be no real estate transfer tax due. I suggest you consult with a qualified real estate attorney to help you complete this transaction in order to ensure what you are doing will meet your goals and objectives in this situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.