Smyrna, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: My roommate wants her boyfriend to move in with us. I have a young daughter so Did an arrest and backgroun check on him.

I am a 39 single mom, I formed a mother daughter like bond with a sweet very lonely lady in her late 60’s that I have worked with for a few years . I trust her completely and let her move in when she needed a place to stay, plus I worry about her health. Well... 6 months after moving in she met a man while grocery shopping and is head over heals for him. He is 56 lives with his dad, no bank or savings account and no job and it’s not because he is retired. They want to marry and him move in. I have a 7 yr old daughter so I did a back round check. I’m so confused. I see a dismissed charge in NC from years ago and misdemeanors charge in NC from the 90’s for Cannabis, but there are 2 other records and all they say is TN- Offense - dept of corrections and Along with his DOB . ? What does that mean? I Don’t see him being someone to trust enough to move in to my daughter and I home. I also see that he has 17 address in last 12 years.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Lawrence James Arnkoff

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Your intuition regarding letting this man move in is correct.

Nothing about the situation or his background would lead

you to conclude it would be prudent to expose your daughter

and yourself to take that risk. Not having his criminal history in front of me

I can't say for sure what is on it but any category that shows

department of corrections would most likely mean he has

spent time in custody. Trust your instincts and ask both of them

to relocate.

1 user found this answer helpful

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I would be very careful in the situation. Obtain as much information online, then call the courts and find out the charges and final dispositions. You can probably hire a private dective for around $50 to do a complete background investigation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.