Everett, MA asked in Child Support for New York

Q: I'm 34, my father rarely paid support when I was a minor. I'm not sure what his arrears are but I'm sure a lot.

He is currently incarcerated. My mom said when he passes she'll get his social security because they never divorced. How would that all work? And wouldn't paying off his debts, like child support, take priority to her just wanting a larger income? Also if they did apply any money he was entitled to what he owes wouldn't that money go to me now that I'm an adult? Oh and yes there was a court order for support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Mironenko
Nina Mironenko
  • Huntington, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: No, if the child support order was that your mother receive child support, then she receives any arrears.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.