Tallahassee, FL asked in Workers' Compensation for Florida

Q: Can a beneficiary who is not disabled of a deceased claimant’s WC case request to change the payments of the settlement?

I am the beneficiary mentioned above who has been receiving payments since 2012, payments are to stop in about 28 years. Since I am not disabled can I request a lump sum or a partial disbersement of remaining funds?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mitchell Feldman
Mitchell Feldman
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Insurance companies always want to settle in a lump sum, but its subject to a negotiation with the insurance company. They will not simply pay you the present value. Do not negotiate on your own. I recommend you hire an experienced workers comp lawyer or law firm.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.