Mishawaka, IN asked in Landlord - Tenant for Indiana

Q: We reside in the state of Indiana and have a 1year signed lease with landlord the landlord has told me she’s serving us

A 3 day eviction notice and she accepted half of this months rent and now saying she’s serving us a 3 day eviction notice. This would be our only notice we’ve ever received from our landlord. She also agreed to my husband fixing major & minor repairs to the rental and she would deduct money from our monthly rent with the first rent deduction being $50 off our monthly rent then the next following month she would deduct more than $200 off our rent that month for the major and minor repairs my husband made to the rental and that’s including cost of items need to make repairs and his labor for making repairs. Now the landlord is trying to say we owe her $500 (ridiculous ) for rent for December 2018 and for late fees for that month & we paid $400 in December for rent to the landlord & deducted cost , includes labor and material cost to fix repairs in rental and I have text as well as witnesses and voicemails from landlord agreeing to deduct money, amount of money she’s going to deduct from

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Alexander Florian Steciuch
Alexander Florian Steciuch
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Valparaiso, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: You should consult with a landlord tenant attorney in your area ASAP. In Indiana, your landlord must file for an eviction in order to remove you from the home. If your landlord is threatening to sue for additional damages, it is worth the money to have an attorney represent you and handle the matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.