Junction City, KS asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Kansas

Q: 4 days ago i was hit head on by a drunk driver

it toatled my vechicle,and my questions are what should i do about medical problems, for the future. and im without a vechicle until who knows when and, i live 40 miles away from family, and my one son has medical problems, so does her insurance company have to get me a rental, until things are fixed or whatr

2 Lawyer Answers

David Adams

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Olathe, KS
  • Licensed in Kansas

A: Best to go through your own insurance first for property damage, if you have the coverage. If not, the other side's insurance may or may not move very quickly to get you taken care of, and may or may not get you a rental. How clear the liability by the other driver will play some part in how quickly they work with you. If there are injuries, your own car insurance will cover the first $4,500.00 of your medical expenses, and future costs, etc. will be covered by the other driver's insurance (eventually - again they may not move quickly, and an attorney is often needed to get a fair shake).

Peter N. Munsing

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: First, you want to contact a member of the Ks.Assn for Justice--they give free consults. In general I agree with what Mr. Asams said. If your company covers the rental and damage to the vehicle they go after the other person's insurance and will send you your deductible. Most states say they have to resolve property damage "promtly and fairly" but give them 30 days to do it, which is why it was suggested maybe run it trhough your company.

In addition to the drunk,, those that sold him the liquour could be responsible.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.