Nashville, TN asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee

Q: My daughter is 17 and was written a citation to appear in court for shoplifting. What I can I expect to happen?

It was under $1,000. We live in TN. She has never been in trouble before. However, the officer who wrote the citation accidentally listed her as 18 and she is only 17. So, the citation is written for her to appear in adult court. I am extremely scared for her and do not know if I need to spend large amounts of money on a lawyer or what may happen to her if I don't. Can you please advise? Any help is much appreciated.

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

Anthony M. Avery

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: If it was $ 500 or more, it is a Felony. But probably not as a Citation was issued. Hire a competent attorney at a minimum fee to either get it Diverted or transferred to Juvenile Court. A conviction will hurt her forever. She may need to make restitution.

Mr. Kent Thomas Jones Esq.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It is not uncommon for someone of her age to be tried as an adult. In Tennessee, theft from $500 to $1000 is a Class E felony. TCA Section 39-14-105(2). It is punishable from 1 year to 6 years in prison. The fine is up to $3000.

A felony conviction is very serious. Yes, she should obtain local counsel.

Lawrence James Arnkoff

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I agree with my fellow counsel who have already posted that

you should seek out an experienced criminal attorney for

your daughter. In today's world if someone has criminal history

it can impact them in in a negative manner for years to come.

Finding the right attorney should reduce your stress levels

and hopefully resolve your daughter's case without a conviction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.