Saint Paul, MN asked in Family Law for New Mexico

Q: My question is how do I know my rights as a father after after a leabe of absence leaving the state of nm for over two

My ex-fiance / children's mother and my two boys still reside in santa Fe. I'm in Minnesota now with family however I have to at least try to get my parental rights back. As she was the direct reason I had to leave and same for not returning.? Plz help me make a decision??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carlos N. Martinez
Carlos N. Martinez
  • Albuquerque, NM
  • Licensed in New Mexico

A: In New Mexico, you are presumed to have joint legal custody rights to your kids unless there is a court order stating otherwise. If there is no case currently pending, then you should file a parentage and custody case immediately to protect your parental rights, and to establish your visitation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.