Mayer, AZ asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Family Law for Wisconsin

Q: Just clarifying that if my dad loses his assistance thru inclusa as per STATE STATUTE 55.02(2) and SINCE HE IS in prote

SINCE HE IS IN PROTECTIVE PLACEMENT that according to the statute he is to be taken care of by the county and or state funding. In the least restrictive place. ( he is in assisted living can from nursing home ) he is totally self dependent and does not need nursing home care. I am worried that they will try to stick him back into nursing home!! It was horrible for him there. I am his legal guardian. I found out due to the fact of his “ protective placement “ I can’t even just go get him and have him live with me. My mom does not wa t him home with her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brady R. Henderson
Brady R. Henderson
  • Milwaukee, WI
  • Licensed in Wisconsin

A: Both Wisconsin law and federal law provide a right for a person being cared for due to a disability to be given the least restrictive placement. Sometimes court battles arise because that person, the person's guardian or family and the state disagree as to what placement is required. If you are your father's guardian, the state should not be able to do much here without your consent, or at least giving you notice of what they intend to do and an opportunity to be heard.

If things have been done without you being in the loop, or you are concerned about that happening in the near future, it could be important to consult further with an attorney here about legal options for what to do about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.