Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Colorado

Q: Have notarized POA of a minor child, how do I file it to make legal in a court of law?

She signed the paper yesterday and took off. Baby is three. Has a grandmother in TX who is illegal, father was deported 3 years ago. How do I make this legal in the court? We have been raising him for 2 years now.

I just left the court house and they said notarized POA is useless.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: The POA does not need to be filed with the court in order to be effective. If you are seeking legal custody, you do need to file a court action. You may be able to do so since the child has been with you for 2 years. You should retain a lawyer for this if that is what you want to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.