Danville, WV asked in Criminal Law for Georgia

Q: Can a person be charged with a terroristic threat if someone says they threaten them over the phone? With no evidence

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Holly G Chapman

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Augusta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: A person alleging that someone threatened them over the phone is likely sufficient to bring a charge of terroristic threats because the standard for arrest, accusation, or indictment is merely probable cause. To convict someone of terroristic threats, there is a higher standard of proof: beyond a reasonable doubt. For conviction, there has to be some additional evidence other than the victim's statement; however, court have found that even slight evidence is sufficient to corroborate a victim's testimony.

If you think you might be facing an arrest for a charge of terroristic threats, it would be in your best interest to contact a criminal defense attorney now to discuss your situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Ecleynne Mercy

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Yes... the "evidence" in a case like this is the testimony of the alleged victim that someone threatened them. An alleged victim can come and testify to the fact that a defendant said or did something that made them feel threatened and this information can be used to make case for terroristic threats.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.