Niles, MI asked in Child Support for Michigan

Q: I got sentenced to 15 months in prison, my child support added up the 15 months I served.

Is there any action I could take to get the amount that added up while incarcerated removed? I was never given a fair opportunity to pay. The person I’m talking to said I would have had to call to inform them that I was incarcerated, my biggest question was how, I did not have access to a free phone. I did not have anyone that could call for me. They also sent me mail while i served my time. Proving they had some kind of knowledge I was in there.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The obligation to inform the Friend of the Court is with you. It does not matter that they found out through other means. Technically, the notice you're required to provide indicates that not only are you incarcerated, but that you also have no ability to pay. While rare, there are people incarcerated but with the ability to pay, and so incarceration alone does not automatically do anything. Not saying it's fair, but it is the way it is. You will quite likely need to enter a repayment agreement for the arrearage amount.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.